“Future-proof at 25”: Infor Reveals Research into IBM end-user attitudes
Research from Infor, a leading provider of business application software serving more than 70,000 customers, today revealed that end users still consider that IBM i - the operating environment launched by IBM on 21st June 1988 as the AS/400 - is the platform of the future. The AS/400 has since evolved into the i Series, System i and latterly simply "IBM i" but has remained built upon its core values of reliability and low TCO. Infor's EMEA System i Survey 2013, undertaken amongst over 100 managers and high level decision-makers gives the platform a huge vote of confidence. However, the report also flags continuing concerns around skills and cloud.
- Infor's EMEA System i Survey 2013, undertaken amongst over 100 managers and high level decision-makers, reveals that 71% of IBM i platform end-users agreed with the statement, 'we believe our System i platform is future-proof.' A further 22% were neutral. Only 7% disagreed.
- Moreover, when asked whether their business system is 'very reliable', 92.5% concurred and the remaining 7.5% were 'neutral'. None of the respondents running their mission-critical business systems on IBM i disagreed.
- The survey results also support the widely-held belief that IBM i applications can be deployed faster and maintained with fewer staff. When asked whether total cost of ownership of their system compares well with alternatives, nearly two thirds (63%) agreed.
- When asked whether users are able to access the data they need to run the business, 71% agreed, with the vast majority of the remainder giving a neutral answer. Only 8% disagreed - proving that even a mature business system, kept up to date, will continue to serve business needs very well.
- The report shows that the industry is reaching a tipping point on IBM i skills with 52% of respondents saying attracting and retaining critical IT skills is becoming a problem. The role of cloud computing in addressing these issues is also far from clear. When asked whether cloud could help address skills shortages, 53% were neutral. Surprisingly a further 33% said cloud could not help.
- Looking ahead, many users indicate that they plan further investment in the platform. 90% of respondents consider reporting and analytics, additional functionality, mobile and 24x7 availability as either a need or a priority for investment.
"As the biggest IBM partner with more than 16,000 customers worldwide using the platform, Infor has access to a lot of end user insight," said Paul Field, General Manager System i, EMEA. "It is clear from this research that a lot of businesses are still reliant on IBM i and that the platform is holding its own amongst younger technologies. The reliability, cost-effectiveness and security of the platform combine to make it virtually future-proof at 25 years old. This is in itself quite an achievement but even more impressive is that the platform continues to remain relevant with new updates and investment in capabilities such as mobile or analytics. It is clear, however, that some of this investment will need to focus on maintaining a base of skilled staff that will form the basis of this continued ROI in years to come."
For the full survey results please visit www.inforsystemi.com/survey
Infor is fundamentally changing the way information is published and consumed in the enterprise, helping 70,000 customers in 194 countries improve operations, drive growth, and quickly adapt to changes in business demands. Infor offers deep industry-specific applications and suites, engineered for speed, and with an innovative user experience design that is simple, transparent, and elegant. Infor provides flexible deployment options that give customers a choice to run their businesses in the cloud, on-premises, or both. To learn more about Infor, please visit www.infor.com.
Infor customers include:
- 19 of the top 20 aerospace companies
- 12 of the top 13 high tech companies
- 10 of the top 10 pharmaceutical companies
- 23 of the top 50 largest US hospitals
- 43 of the top 50 industrial distributors
- 26 of the top 35 global retailers
- 5 of the top 9 brewers
# # #
For more information:
- Press Releases